Building resources

Building authorities & government resources

Federal government

  • Your Home provides consumer and technical guide materials and tools developed to encourage the design, construction or renovation of homes to be more comfortable, less expensive to run, and more environmentally friendly.
  • Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS) is a government agency that provides a framework that allows various computer software tools to rate the potential energy efficiency of Australian homes. NatHERS defines the minimum set of information that must be used by all software tools.
  • The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) addresses issues relating to safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and performance of buildings through the National Construction Code (NCC) Series, and the development of effective regulatory systems and appropriate non-regulatory solutions.

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

  • NSW Fair Trading
    Advice and information to help you build a new home or renovate your property, as well as information to help you understand your rights and responsibilities when you build or renovate your home.

Northern Territory


  • The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) supports the Queensland community by providing information, advice and regulation to ensure the maintenance of proper building standards, remedies for defective building work.
    The Commission regulates the building industry throughout Queensland. It has service centres located throughout the state including Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Maryborough, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.

South Australia


  • The Tasmanian Heritage Council is a statutory body separate to government, that is responsible for the administration of the Historic Cultural Heritage Act 1995 and the establishment of the Tasmanian Heritage Register. Its primary task is as a resource management and planning body, focused on heritage conservation issues.  Any development on heritage listed places require the approval of the Heritage Council before works can commence.
  • Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tasmania Online provides renovating resources including Are you building or renovating a home?: a consumer guide and Consumer building disputes.


  • The The Building Commission is a statutory authority that oversees the building control system in Victoria.  The Commission provides consumer information to guide you through the building process and the laws and regulations that affect domestic building, and the ongoing care for commercial buildings. It works closely with four statutory bodies to provide industry leadership and regulate building quality. These bodies include:
    • The Building Practitioners Board (BPB) oversees the quality and standard of professional services in the Victorian building industry.
    • The Building Appeals Board (BAB) determines disputes and appeals arising from the Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006 and deals with modifications to building legislation.
    • The Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC) comprises building industry representatives and has two roles set out in the Building Act 1993.  The Committee provides advice to the Minister for Planning on draft building regulations and also accredits building products, construction methods and components or systems connected with building work.
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria (Building and renovating) has information to help with your home building project, including new homes, renovations, pools etc.
  • Land Victoria is the Victorian Government's key agency for land administration and property information.
  • Heritage Victoria is responsible for the identification, protections and interpretation of Victoria’s most significant cultural heritage, and advises on its conservation and management.
  • Victorian Heritage Database stores the records of places in Heritage Overlays of 24 Local Planning Schemes; and the records of non-statutory listings held by the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and the Victorian War Heritage Inventory.

Western Australia

  • Department of Commerce, Building Commission supports the community through the regulation of building, painting and plumbing services. The role of the Commission includes licensing building service providers, investigating and prosecuting for offences against building laws, providing a dispute resolution service, setting standards and delivering policy and advice.
  • The Water Corporation's building and renovating pages provides information about lodging building applications and what you need to do before carrying out any building activity on your property.
  • Local Government, City of Stirling for information regarding building and renovating for residential developments.

Please be aware that building regulations and Government authorities change regularly. Check with your state or territory authorities for current information pertaining to domestic renovating and building. If you hear of changes that we may of missed, let us know and we’ll include the details on our site. For further details see our disclaimer.